Sep 16, 2011

iheart: BBBS

I really believe that education will empower our young generation to aspire for a better Philippines and dream of a better life. As much as I can, I always participate in causes geared toward helping students. Thus, I am really happy to have found Big Brother Big Sister (BBBS).

BBBS was founded in 2005 by a group of mountaineers with a mission to bring school supplies to far flung mountain areas in the Philippines.  One can help by donating in their cause and/or joining in the actual distribution.

I first joined BBBS in 2008, where we braved a storm signal no. 3 to visit the kids of Kapangan and Kibungan, Benguet. Despite the weather, the kids, parents, and teachers were still present to receive the school supplies and books we brought. They also participated in the program and games prepared by BBBS. It was also amazing to learn that these students walk several kilometers just to attend classes. Undeniably, enduring the uber cold climate and getting soaked by the storm was worth it.


After 2008, I joined BBBS again in 2009-San Mateo, 2010-Cambulo and Batad, Ifugao and 2011-Marinduque Province. The reason why I keep joining BBBS is because it combines my 2 passions in life, traveling and volunteering (now coined voluntourism). I am not only able to visit unexplored destinations but I am also enriched by the experience of giving back. I truly wish that for every BBBS volunteer year, I am able to inspire kids to continue studying and impart in them the importance of education.

BBBS volunteer activity is done annually on the month of May. You may visit their website for more information about BBBS and how you can help.

Looking forward to BBBS 2012,
shla

No comments:

Post a Comment